I've decided to try my hand at making grips. I enjoy working with my hands, and it passes the time. I had a few pieces of poplar lying around, so basically, I just used another set of grips to trace a pattern, and I cut them out with a jigsaw. After drilling the holes, I shaped them with a pocketknife, and sanded them smooth. I coated them with polyurethane, which gave them a slight amber color. After installing them, I realized that I forgot to put the bevel on the bottom edge of the grips, so they have flat bottoms.
I like them, though.

I was also going to make a set for my dad, using red oak, but when I was digging around, I came upon this great piece of deer horn, so what the hell, I decided. I mad my dad a set of stags for his Kimber. They are a little outside of spec, as I was working with an irregular section of horn, but they turned out ok... I just wish I would have flattened the back of the left grip just a tad more.
Ah, well. They still look nice.
1 comment:
Very, very, nice!
Post a Comment