Monday, August 15, 2011

More Leather





I've been doing a lot of leatherworking lately. I've been jonesing over a Galco Jackass rig for my 1911, but, alas, it hasn't been in the cards. Last week, I decided that, hell, I know how to work leather, so I went to Hobby Lobby to buy some supplies.


I bought a belt blank to cut up for straps, some button snaps, and I got a large Farmer's bundle of leather. Next I ran to Lowes, and I got a large metal ring, and a length of chain, and I was all set.


I used the small chain links as the metal bindings for the holster and magazine pouch, and the snaps made the thumb break and tie-downs easy to operate, but I had to do some serious thinking about how to set up the strapping. Eventually, I just cut the straps into 4 even pieces, and ran them through the ring, taping them with masking tape, and adjusting them until I had a good fit. I think it turned out.






Here's a picture of me wearing the rig.






Here's a concealed picture.



I do like it, but it is a bit bulky for summer wear, and I wanted another project, so I tackled a pancake holster for my S&W J-frame. I had to do some serious wetting to fit the firearm to the holster, but I got it shaped well then dried it on the clothesline before oiling it.







I truly like this rig for summer wear.



2 comments:

Sport Pilot said...

Nice work. I was going to use one of the shoulder holster kit's sold by Tandy but your concept is even better.

Wilson said...

That’s some good work. You’ve got talent for it!