Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Range Day

Well, I've spent the last two days at the range. It was time for annual re-qualifications for our office, and they had the new agents tag along. Although we are not licensed to carry side arms until we have had a mandatory 40 hour training course, the senior officers decided that we could use the practice, so we got to spend two days shooting the state's ammo, and get paid for it.

I scored decently with my backup gun, my Smith and Wesson j-frame yesterday, and today, I got issued my department side arm, a Glock 19.

Now, I have always found Glocks to be ugly, and have never really had a desire to shoot one. It's a plain, ugly, black gun. Nothing special. Now, I knew that they were rock-solid dependable, and reliable. I mean, so many law enforcement agencies use them, they would have to be, right?

Never have I fell for a gun so fast.

I pulled it out of the box, loaded it up, and fired a 119/120 on the POST course. With a gun that I had NEVER BEFORE HANDLED.

Will a Glock replace my 1911? My S&W revolvers? Never. But when I am on duty, and want to KNOW that it will be rock-solid and work EVERY time? I'll grab the Glock.

What can I say? I'm a convert.

5 comments:

dturtleman said...

From a PO in Yankeeland, congratulations and good luck on the job! You'll certainly meet interesting people.

Wilson said...

Good shooting! Yes, while I completely agree that Glocks are ugly it can’t be denied that they do work.

Michael W. said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of combat Tupperware. From a 15 year model 23 owner/operator.

Wilson said...

I need to talk to you but couldn’t find an email. Please contact me at wilsonblog@netzero.net

Thanks

Elizabeth said...

Hey Joe, hope you update soon. Fuzzy is threatening to get me a .410 shotgun since I won't shoot the 12 gauge I won at a gun bash a few weeks ago.