I have had the opportunity to shoot twice this week. Once with my wife, and once with my brothers.
My wife has become interested in getting her concealed carry permit, and I fully support the idea. She is interested in was interested in either a small or medium sized gun, and favors a revolver over an auto.
Having these parameters figured out, I set out looking for some guns for her to try. I have a S&W J frame, in .38 special, so I figured that covered the small frame arena, and I borrowed my brother's Ruger Security Six, as a medium frame gun. His is .357 mag, and has a 2.25 inch barrel.
I had her shoot them both, and told her not to worry with the target too much. I figured that if she found which one she preferred shooting, then we could work with that one until she was accurate.
She strongly preferred the Ruger. No surprise, really. It's a heavier gun, has less felt recoil, and better sights. We had a discussion of the ups and downs to weight... Ease of shooting versus ease of carry. After a lot of thought and discussion, she decided that the ease of shooting outweighed the carry issue for her. She would rather carry a heavier gun and be confident in her ability to shoot it accurately. So soon I will be looking for a nice, medium frame, short barreled revolver for her. Probably a S&W K frame or a Ruger SP101, either with around a 2.25 inch barrel.
She shot a box of bullets, and quickly became decently accurate with my brother's Security Six, placing most shots within 6 inches of the aiming point. Once we get her a gun of her own, I have no doubt she will take to regular practice and rapidly improve her skill.
A few days later, My brothers came over and helped me install a new back door and door frame. When we got done, my brother that doesn't own the Security Six brought out his new toy, A Ruger LC9.
All I can Say is: Damn.
That's one fine-shooting gun. It ran like a champ, it was damned accurate, keeping all rounds within 5 inches of the bullseye (with 3 different shooters), and it was extremely comfortable to shoot. If you are considering a lightweight 9mm for concealed carry, I definitely recommend the LC9, based off of my first impressions.
All in all, it was a nice week for shooting!
20 minutes ago

No comments:
Post a Comment