I have been looking for a concealable 9mm single stack since my brother bought a Ruger LC9 about 2 years ago. I shot his, and I fell in love. While slightly too big to be considered a true pocket gun, the Ruger shot well, had manageable recoil, was accurate, and fit the hand well. I have been green with envy, and while the "gun funds" have gone to other things over the past several years, I have had in the back of my mind that a single stack 9mm would be my next firearm purchase.
My wife told me the other day that the way our finances have worked out, my next paycheck would have no bills coming from it. As I always do when she mentions excess money, I jokingly asked if I could buy a gun. She thought for a second, and said "Yeah. We could afford that, I think." We discussed it further, and settled on a reasonable dollar amount, and yesterday I went over to my LGS thinking about what an awesome wife I have.
I looked through the offerings on display, and decided against the LC9, primarily because I am left handed, and it has a right hand only safety, which does nothing but needlessly complicate a carry gun for me. I looked at a S&W Shield and Bodyguard, but the Bodyguard was in .380, and the shield was right outside the upper limits of my budget. I then saw the Kahr CW40 in the display, at about 30 bucks less than I was planning to spend. I asked how often he got them in in 9mm, and he reached under the counter.
"Last one in the store, but I get a few in every week."
"What's your feelings on it?"
He smiled, reached into his front pocket, and pulled a CW9 in a well-worn holster out.
"Got a few thousand rounds through this one. I trust it."
At that point, I called my wife and told her that I was about to buy a gun. She told me to wait, do some research, rent one and shoot it tomorrow, and then decide.
Smart girl. It was hard to walk away, but when I came back today, I knew from reading around that many don't like the trigger, because it has a very long pull, and that the magazines have sharp lips.
Both of these things are true. The mag lips are sharp, making loading a bit of a trial. The trigger pull is long, too. But it's smooth. I carry a S&W j-frame, so I am no stranger to a long, smooth trigger pull, with no reset. In fact, the CW9, with it's long trigger pull and no manual safety is about the most revolver-ist semi-auto I've ever shot. It's like hanging out with an old friend.
At the range, I shot 2 mags for accuracy, and was satisfied with the 2 inch groups at 10 yards. After that, I shot about 40 rounds doing everything I could to make it jam. It wouldn't. Limp wristing, sloppy grip, weak hand shooting.... This gun just kept on loading and shooting the bullets.
So I bought it.
And I like it. The manufacturer says to shoot 200 rounds to break it in, and I will do that. But regardless, I am sold on this Kahr.


7 comments:
Looks like a nice pistol. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Kahr.
Ooh, New toy!! I wanna shoot it! I got you one lb of win 231 and a awesome story to go with it. Also I got a lead on more powder to pick up tomorrow.
Bluesun- I like it a lot. Working on some holsters me or it.
Matt- of course you can shoot it. I need to send about 200 rounds downrange anyway...
And I'm happy you finally found some powder.
I recently won a CW9 at a Friends of the NRA dinner raffle...I've been considering a single stack 9 for some time, and it was down to the Kahr or the Springfield XDs....I have a Kahr P380 and love it, so when I saw, then held the CW9 at the dinner, I fell in love bought some raffle tickets and hoped for the best....well...it paid off, I won, and so far with nearly 200 rounds of widely assorted ammo down range...I'm loving every shot.....it's a great sidearm, and fills the niche nicely between my P380 and my Kimber Ultra CDP II for a lightweight carry gun.
Mike- good to know! I'm looking forward to getting out to the range and getting some trigger time, myself!
The single stack 9mm is something I have thought about a couple times. Seriously looked at purchasing one a year and change ago. The S&W Shield was new on the market and unobtanium at reasonable prices in my AO of SE Arizona at the time. Ended up getting something else but the thought has come back recently.
Something thinner than a double stack that reloads faster and shoots better than a J frame.
I sort of wanted to see how the Shield does and maybe let them get through some initial flaws. In particular the new no safety Shield would be nice though also a Khar or the Ruger LC9 are also worth looking at for the right price.
Somewhat regrettably I do not see funding for such a pistol this year.
I understand the lack of funding thing, Ryan. As the post says, this is the first gun I've bought in a LONG time. When you're raising a family, the gun funds tend to go to other things, most of the time.
Post a Comment