Thursday, July 24, 2014

Ammo count

.308- 116
9mm- 197
.38 special- 296
.357 magnum- 85
.22 long rifle- 500 (approximately)
.410 gauge- 80
20 gauge- 113
12 gauge- 12
16 gauge- 250

I plan on making more 9mm, and once I have about 500 rounds, I will start working on .38, and bring it up to about 500 rounds, too. I need to make about 100 or so more rounds of .357, and obviously need to buy a good bit of 12 gauge. I also need some steel shot for my 16 gauge for duck hunting. Otherwise, I feel reasonably well about my current ammo stores.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My initial thought was those numbers are pretty low but after a second read I see you are not counting 'makings' which you do have. So it is sort of like a guy who is out of smokes but has papers, filters and tobacco.

Fundamentally I have come to realize that prior to the 'OMG do I have enough ammo?' question you have to answer the 'What am I stocking ammo for?' question. Obviously a militia war or a zombie apocalypse will necessitate a lot more ammo than an event like the LA Riots or Katrina which will still require more ammo than normal training and a few boxes set aside for just in case defensive/ CCW stuff.

I find the Katrina/ LA Riots/ Rita bar of a significant but localized and relatively short term disaster where you might need to help neighbors or defend yourself but are unlikely to be involved in multiple, prolonged gun fights as a fair balance that is affordable to do and covers all but the 'long tail' of seriously unlikely events.

500 per pistol caliber seems like a good number.

I would be inclined to have more like 200-250 rounds of .308 but cannot fully explain why.

As to 12 gauge. Between .410, 20 and 16 you have a fair bit of ammo I suspect in a variety of hunting type flavors. So we'll focus the 12 gauge talk on defense.

Personally a Remington 870 sits by my bed. On board that gun are 13 rounds of buck and 7 slugs. The tube has 6 buck, the sidesaddle 7 and the butt has 7 slugs. Overkill? I dunno, the capacity of the gun objectively sucks and it is quite likely if I grab it all the ammo I have will be in/ on the gun.

Next to it sits a pistol belt that holds 2 more 7 round 'cards' loaded with buckshot. Under the pistol belt is an old SAW pouch I converted to carry shotgun ammo. It holds 40 rounds of buck and 5 more slugs. Can't see needing to grab it but you never know. If I go traveling and bring the shotgun I toss it into the trunk. Between those it's about 80 rounds.

You've mentioned the shotgun as a duty gun. In that context I would go with a load out similar to what I discussed.

Purchased in bulk (typically 250 rds) budget buckshot (Fiochi, Seller and Bellot, etc) buckshot is quite affordable. Quality (Federal LE, etc) stuff is often sold in 100rd packs at about a buck a shot.

Anonymous said...

Should also note SOE Gear makes a chest rig specifically designed for shotguns. I would like one myself but haven't got to it yet. For a duty gun that would be a great way to hold ammo, med kit, etc.

Especially since your normal duty belt or carry system is not going to incorporate shotgun ammo being able to throw something on and grab the shotgun would help you get ready in a hurry.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Ryan- a typical 'duty' load for my department is federal Le ammo, 10 rounds of buck, and 2 slugs. I think this has more to do with our qualification course than any plausible scenario, as that is the exact number of slugs and buck that we qualify with, but with a stuffed tube of buck, minus one (in case you need to load the fist round with a slug) and a butt sock, that holds our issued ammo. Should I buy another 2 or 3 boxes of buck and an extra box of slugs? Absolutely. And I will toss them in the case with my gun, too, possibly in the shell belt I have in my holster drawer. I also want about 100 rounds of #7 on hand, because shooting skeet is the best way to keep yous skills sharp with a shotgun.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a solid plan for you.

Pawpaw said...

Except that yesterday I hooked him up with Federal LE Buckshot, so he's good to go there.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

And my thanks for that, pop! You're the man.

Anonymous said...

PawPaw, That is awesome. My father has given me many cool things, including guns, but never buckshot.