Sunday, August 3, 2014

Range Day

I didn't have plans today, other than lunch at my pop's (a delicious pork loin!), but my buddy called at about 9:30 this morning, and asked if I wanted to hit the range about 2pm. After lunch, I headed to his house, and we proceeded to the local range.

I put another 100 rounds through my Kahr,  without a hitch. I also shot my .357 Marlin, and verified zero. It needs to be moved up an inch, and left 1.5 inches, but maintains a 6 inch group, if I do my part. Shot the Savage .308. With the Hornady SST bullet, I was able to keep a 10 shot group in about 1.5 inches, and I just wasn't on my game. Even so, that's a good 10 shot group, and if I was doing my part, it could have been half that size.

Met a man on the pistol range, and I let him have my brass. I have over 3000 pieces of 9 mm brass at the house, so I didn't mind him having the 200 there. He was grateful, and offered to let me shoot his Highway Patrolman. It was the 4 inch model, and it's an amazing gun to shoot. The Highway Patrolman  is a dead serious weapon, and his was an excellent example. It had the original stocks and a nice finish, with a little honest holster wear near the muzzle.

Then he let me shoot his K22, another beautiful Smith. It shot like a dream, and it is amusing to shoot a gun that heavy and not feel any recoil.

Last, he let me shoot a Kel-Tec Sub 2000. Man, those things will kick over your giggle box. A 9 mm carbine is absurdly fun.

I let him shoot my .357 Marlin, in thanks for his generosity. He shot at a soda bottle on the 50 yard berm, and smiled when it flipped over on his third shot.

I took a turn at it, and hit the bottle 4 out of 5 times. 100 yards is the outer limit for that gun, but at 50, it's every bit as accurate as the shooter can be.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

3 comments:

Pawpaw said...

Well Done. Shooting a Highway Patrolman is a fine use of your time. I have a 6" and your stepmother has a 4". Both very nice weapons.

Matt said...

Sounds like a good day at the range

Wilson said...

Nice shooting!