Sunday, November 9, 2014

New Holster

I have been kicking around the idea of a paddle holster for a while now. While on the job, I don't like them, because they aren't very secure to your body. At least not as secure as a good belt loop and a top grain leather belt are. In my normal work attire, the least secure part of my holster-to-body contact is my belt loops.

I like IWB carry, though. Problem is, I have some pants that fit my body in such a way as to make IWB carry impractical/uncomfortable. I have been thinking that a nice paddle holster would be great for those quick trips to the store, as it can just be slipped on without any wardrobe adjustment, except for perhaps throwing on a light jacket or cover shirt. In that vein, I built a paddle holster. I have a few paddles from various bits of gear that have belt/paddle mounting options, so I bought some Chicago screws, hauled out my leather working supplies, and Googled up some paddle holster images.

Of course, I stitched a Fleur-de-lis into the holster, because if I decide to open-carry, I want my holster to look nice. I also added a tension screw with a rubber grommet, so I can adjust the tension level on the firearm. You can see it behind the trigger guard.

I like how it turned out. A few months of use should tell the story of if I got it right, though. I will keep all informed.

2 comments:

Pawpaw said...

Good looking holster. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

I ended up getting a rather unusual holster for my CW9. IT is a Desantis Dual Carry II http://www.desantisholster.com/DUAL-CARRY-II. It has retention via a thumb strap and carries IWB with a plastic clip and OWB via holes to insert a belt through. Sort of like those el cheapo convertible Uncle Mikes rigs but actually a decent holster.

It is a bit thick for IWB but is a pretty nice OWB rig. I like that it can be used either way. Not a bad deal for $25.