Thursday, June 22, 2017

Lee Pro 1000

So surfing around the other day, I came across a post on a local forum from a guy wanting to sell his reloading setup. I clicked through, and damned if it wasn't a progressive press! It came with the press, a powder measure with the auto-disc setup, 3 quick-change turrets, brass feeder, a complete shell holder assembly for .223, .44 mag/spl, and .38/.357. Also, it came with a small loading bench. The guy was asking $125.

So I texted him, and pulled the trigger, so to speak. I need to buy a 9mm shell holder assembly, and a powder-through expanding die for .38spl  (my .38/.357 dies are RCBS), and I will be setup to load my 2 favorite handgun cartridges quickly!

I have been unhappy with my reloading setup for a while, due to it being outside. It is on the back porch, but if strong winds come along, it can still blow rain onto my old Rockcrusher Jr. press, not to mention the naturally high humidity that encourages rust here in southern Louisiana. Since getting the new press, I went ahead and mounted my old single-stage press and powder measure on the back of my new reloading bench, so I can just turn the table around, and I am good to go with either the progressive or single-stage press.

And I can now reload in the comfort of my dining room! I'm pretty excited about this purchase.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice find. I am still using the Lee single stage that I started with over 5 years ago. I really like their products, even most of my die sets are Lee.

Regards,

J.D.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

True enough. My dad always used Lee products, and in getting started, my dad gave me a lot of second-hand Lee products. My .38 dies and press are RCBS, because my dad found a good deal on them. Most all new reloading things I buy are made by Lee.

My dad says (and it's pretty accurate) Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, etc make products that your great grandkids will still be using long after you are gone, but they come with a 3-generation price. Lee makes products that will probably wear out by the time your grandkids get them, but the price is so much better that your grandkids will get an inheritance from you other than just a reloading press.

A bit tongue in cheek, but accurate, in its own way. There may he better built products out there, but when you are talking about getting 40 years out of a 50 dollar product, is it worth spending 150 dollars to get 70 years? Not in my book. I'll let Lee get another buy from my grandkids in another 40 years.

Unknown said...

Very well said, and I agree with your dad. I do have some RCBS and Hornady products/die sets as well. What is rather funny is that even my shotshell reloading set-up is Lee.

J.D.

Pawpaw said...

Nice little setup.