Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Thoughts on Carrying.

Read this. The open carry debate has been raging pretty hot lately. For my job, I open carry, but I rarely do on my own time. Not because I think it's wrong, but because i don't like being eyeballed. Also, I don't care to advertise my lines of defense. When i see someone carrying openly, I don't tend to view them as a threat ( well, not OCing by itself. Circumstances may make me feel different about wether someone is a threat or not, but OCing alone doesn't make me jumpy). Open carry is fine in my book, but to quote AD: Don't be a dick about it.

Now read this. Personally, this is one of my favorite posts on mindset. Being aware of your surroundings, and projecting an attitude that you are the more fearsome predator goes a long way to keeping you safe. That doesn't mean stick your chest out and swagger. It has more to do with carrying yourself with confidence, surveying around yourself (not taking furtive glances, but openly scanning... it tells others that you are aware of your surroundings, and you don't care if they know it.) Just being confident in your ability to defend yourself and those with you tells predators a lot. A mindset like that comes across in how you carry yourself. Your mindset and how others perceive you is the most important part of carrying. Put it inside your waistband. Put it openly on your hip. But put it second behind mindset.

No comments: