Friday, March 29, 2013

Re: New Grips

Remember a post about a month ago, entitled 'inspiration'? Well, I decided to make myself a set of stag 1911 grips.
My father let me borrow a bench grinder, which I used to do most of the shaping work, after roughing the slabs out with a hacksaw and a bandsaw.
I next used sandpaper to smooth them out, and drilled the screw holes with a black and decker.
I then went to an emery board and finished the smoothing.
Finally, I coated them with bee-grease (a mixture of beeswax and lard) and heated them, to seal them and give them a nice sheen. Some light hand buffing, and they're all done.
I like the way they turned out. One day soon I'm going to have to make a nice OWB holster for the Springfield.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooo... when are you going to start doing scrimshaw?

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Lol... not any time soon. I've done a little, and I'm horrible at it. I need someone to teach me!

Matt said...

Nice grips, although when I first looked at the pic I was wondering when you got a "blue" 1911! The color of the pic on my phone was a little off!

Pawpaw said...

Nice! I guess that belt sander is coming in handy.

Wilson said...

Interesting!

Pawpaw said...

I noticed when I saw them in person yesterday that the color was a lot more subtle and visually pleasing in person than in the photo. Those are really nice grips, with some color and an almost translucent quality that makes them very, very pretty. Now the question is how they'll hold up over time.

Pawpaw said...

Go look at Simply Rugged holsters. I bet you could get a good idea or two from some of their designs.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/

Anonymous said...

Very Nice! A blued or parkerized 1911 with white grips is a thing of beauty. This is making me want one.