Saturday, October 26, 2013

Finished!

Man, I'm pleased with the way this turned out. Now, I know that someone experienced could have made a bedgown turn out much nicer, with much nicer stitching, but the great thing is that this is a project that a novice can tackle and have it turn out nicely.

A bedgown uses 'simple' construction techniques, and is basically a light jacket worn by working class women. The higher society wore them too, but more as lounge wear between getting up and getting dressed. I made this one from an old blue wool blanket. The pattern is easily cut, and there are only a few measurements needed. Bedgowns didn't have buttons, and were generally held closed either with pins, or with an apron tied around the waist.

After the basic construction, I couldn't figure out how the 'shawl' type collar worked, but in looking around, I found a few examples with a simple dished neckline, so I went with that.

Finally, I lined the neck, opening, and cuffs with some slightly lighter blue ribbon. I'm sure an experienced seamstress could find a dozen things wrong with it, but I'm pleased with the finished project!

3 comments:

Michael W. said...

Very nice job! I would be willing to bet that your lady will love it and it will keep her very warm next month.

If you haven't seen it yet, try to get your hands on a copy of the book, Rural Pennsylvania Clothing. It will be a great resource for future clothing work.

Melissa said...

Thank you Joey!

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Michael- thanks! I'm always apprehensive about posting re-enacting stuff i've made, but I want feedback before I bring something to an encampment, so if there's glaring errors, I have time to fix them. for instance- the print on this bedgown on the inside neck. There was a screenprint of a crest on the blanket I used, and i was able to arrange the fabric in such a way to eliminate 90% of it. The remaining portion will be hidden when she is wearing it, but it still bothers me a bit.