Monday, December 30, 2013

Cobra

While in Florida, Grams told me she got a new gun. She said it was a 6-shot Colt, in .38spl. I was pretty amazed at what I saw. I'm a bone-deep Smith man, as far as wheel guns go, but the Cobra she showed me was a beauty.

It's an earlier model, as the ejector rod isn't shrouded, but if memory serves, it was made after 67, since the grip is short, with the stocks meeting underneath the grip frame.

If there's a Colt collector out there *cough* (Old NFO) *cough* who could narrow down the year range, I'd be interested. Sadly, I didn't jot down the serial number to help narrow it down more.

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

If you had the serial number... LOL or the first three and total number of digits... It IS a first issue (pre 1973) when they went to the shrouded ejector. Looks like it's in nice shape too!

Issue is that it is NOT safe for +P rounds...

Anonymous said...

NICE!

gfa

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Thanks for the info, Old NFO. At least I know it's over 40 years old. I'll pass on the info about +P rounds to Grams.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Armedlaughing- thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

I didn't know all this stuff, Joey! Why didn't you tell me ? I now know my 'Sweetie Pie" (I name my revolvers) is over 40! and kinda special. Well, she's a 38, so that's special! Joey, what are +P rounds? Should I look out for them? I only have about 5 bullets for Sweetie Pie, so I'll have to look out for something about +P, right?
I love u, Dude!
Grams

Anonymous said...

Those old Colts were beautiful. I had a Cold Trooper MKIII and even though it was at the bottom end of 'Good' condition it was a beauty.

One day I will likely inherit a flawless Colt .22lr revolver. It is almost too pretty to shoot.

That being said I am on a budget so mine are Smiths. Honestly baring excellent deals future wheel guns will be Rugers.