I have a link in my sidebar that I check on a daily basis, the Officer Down Memorial Page. It's a list of all officers that have fallen in the line of duty in the U.S. and it's provinces. Many in the gunnie community can be harsh towards officers, and frankly, as a cop myself, I have mixed feelings about it. These men and women put their life on the line every day for the safety of their communities, and they deserve our respect for that as a group. Are there bad cops? Sure as hell are. I've met a few. They tarnish the badge they wear, and I'd not choose them to have my back in a bad situation. That said, most of the men and women I've met that carry the Thin Blue Line are good, honest people that want to make a difference, and to help others. We get shitty pay (although we usually get good insurance), little thanks from our superiors, and are often looked at with distain by the public. Still, most cops I know wouldn't take another job with better pay, because the job is a calling... which brings me back to the Officer Down Memorial Page.
Yesterday, we lost 3 men in uniform. One was in a car accident, and two were shot. Investigator Cuauhtemoc Estrada's shooter has not yet been apprehended. Estrada was a Marine Corps veteran, and had served with the Cook County Sheriff's office for 20 years.
At a time of the year that we are all thankful to be home, and are celebrating family and Christ, remember that 3 families found out yesterday that they will never again see their father, or son, or brother, or husband.
Hug your family. Tell them you love them. But remember these men who laid down their lives in the name of serving public safety. Weep for them, for though some weak souls hide behind the badge and misuse it, most of them are willing to die to preserve not only their communities, but the integrity of that badge pinned to their chest.

No comments:
Post a Comment