Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bee Grease

Bee Grease is a roughly 50-50 mixture of lard and beeswax. It's a great leather restorative.

It's amazing what a little polishing and care does to an old pair of shoes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds about like what's in Obenauf's, though I'm sure they don't say "lard."

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Heh. Call a spade a spade, i guess. learned the reciepe working in living history in Florida a few years back. i was doing apprentice work for a leatherworker, and that's one of the tricks he showed me. inexpensive to make, works better than most commercial products, and a little goes a long way. I made a 1lb batch about 3 years ago, and still have about 1/5 lb left. If you're not a leatherworker, a pound will last you 10 years.

Nancy R. said...

I make the same thing but with equal parts lard, beeswax and Neatsfoot oil (NOT the compound). I love it!

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Yup, it's good stuff, Nancy. Marko, the leather worker that taught me always put Neatsfoot Oil on first, let it dry, then applied the bee grease. I dunno why he put it on first, and never thought to ask him.... I just took it for granted that it was done that way. Just goes to show that there's more than one way to do just about anything :)

Pawpaw said...

It also makes a great BP bullet lube. And guess who's got a big chunk of beeswax, if you want to make another batch.