To regular readers, it should come as no surprise that I am an outspoken, unabashed fan of the .357 Magnum. Loaded hot, and shot from a rifle, it can almost match performance with the venerable .30-30 Winchester. Using it's smaller brother, the .38 Special, it can be loaded light and can be easily managed by novices with the smallest and lightest of handguns. The .38/.357 family of cartridges is one of the most versatile. Loadings can be readily tailored to suit any need from plinking to defense to harvesting game. It's even relatively easy to make shot she'll loads for the .357, although they are admittedly of little use beyond a few yards.
Few individuals outside of war zones (and some within them, I'd bet) feel under gunned with a .357 revolver on their hip. Mine has ridden hundreds (thousands?) Of miles tucked between the seats of my vehicle. A .357 revolver on a dark road, standing next to a broken down truck is a comfort when waiting for a friend to arrive with a tow-strap.
It is also comforting to know that your rifle is up to the job when hunting deer in the thicket-clogged woods I live in. Unless you are on a pipeline, 100 yards is a long shot in North Central Louisiana. A light, short lever-action with iron sights is perfect for stalking white-tails. It is comfortable to carry, rugged, and perfect for snap shooting. If you choose your bullet loading with care, you can place 158 grains of lead, traveling at velocities within 50 f.p.s. of a .30-30 hunting load, into a 6 inch circle at 100 yards. That is easily sufficient to make meat.
If ever I am faced with a need to bug out, circumstance may dictate which of my guns I can bring, and which I'd have to leave behind... but even if I was walking, with nothing more than what I cold carry on my back, I know two firearms that would definitely make the trip.


5 comments:
When did you get a 357 rifle, and I'm jealous
Matt-
It's pop's rifle, on loan. Last year I decided I really wanted to take a deer with iron sights. Using my .308 Savage has spoiled me to itty-bitty bug hole groups. I figured it was time to re ' learn how to properly use iron sights. It's much more of a challenge, but much more rewarding. Sadly, I didn't take a deer last season, but hopefully I will this year.
Aahhhh, pops gun. It's good that we have a pop that lets us borrow em. Also I feel ya on the iron sights. Also I didn't know pop had a 357 rifle, I sure would like to shoot it!
That .357 rifle is a darlin'. However, my poor old eyes don't see like they used to, and iron sights give me fits.
I love the .357 mag. For some reason I never really considered it for a long gun though I am a 30-30 lever action fan.
The idea of a rifle and handgun that take the same round is nice but it inherently limits the long gun. That being said in recent years a lot of manufacturers such as Buffalo Bore and Cor Bon have put out really hot .357 loads that as you note put it into 30-30 range. That sort of changes the equation. Also the environment here with short ranges and a lack of game larger than deer is a significant consideration. That setup has a lot of merit.
I'd love to get a '94 Trapper in .357 mag. If I ever find one that isn't priced like it is made of gold I'll find a way to buy it.
Post a Comment