For the last few weeks, I have been thinking about my lifestyle. I have multiple things in my life that are bad for my health. I drink beer daily, I smoke a pipe, I eat what I like with little concern for it's healthiness, and I live a sedentary lifestyle. You see, since I got out of police academy, where I dropped 2 pants sizes, I've been relatively the same size. That was 2 years ago. I noticed the other day that my pants are a bit snug. Not uncomfortable, but unchecked they will be in 6 months.
I decided that I can't give up smoking at this juncture, and if I had to change my diet I would be miserable. My choice made itself. Staying in my current pants size and possibly even trimming down is worth giving up some beer and starting exercising again.
Last week, I told my wife my plan. She was kinda shocked. I'm not exactly a health nut, so this is big for me. The plan is, Monday through Thursday, run a mile, increasing by 1 block a week, followed by an exercise routine including push-ups, burpees, crunches, jumping jacks, bridges, and other stuff. It will vary slightly weekly, and reps will increase over time. Monday through Thursday I will also abstain from alcohol consumption.
Today starts the second week, and it's beginning to become a natural part of the routine. I don't exactly look forward to it, but I am becoming used to it.
This is the first time in my life that I've voluntarily exercised, for no other reason than I wanted to for my health. It's also the first time in my adult life that I've voluntarily curbed my drinking. Now, I have no problem going weeks without drinking, and have plenty of times, but this is the first time that I've made a conscious decision to not drink (x) number of days a week.
I'm hoping that because this is voluntary, and I actually WANT to do this, that it will stick. Get healthy, lose weight, all that jazz.
And, ya know, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about my success in this endeavor.

4 comments:
Keep it up. A little a day goes a long way.
Bravo! It'll be a LOT easier now than when you're 50+ and have bad knees.
Good on ya
Good luck!
Post a Comment