The scraps were mixed hardwood and pine, and I could pick and choose. I tossed and loaded and cussed for 20 minutes, only selecting hardwood, then climbed into the bed of my F-150 to stack it. After packing it in neatly and tight, level with the top of the bed, I hadn't even gotten to the wheel wells! I gasped for air, having not thought that it would be as difficult as it was (am I really that dumb? did I really think it would be EASY to load a truck bed full of wood?!) and wished that I had brought a bottle of water. Or even better, liquor. Damn this wood!
The better part of an hour later, and I had finished filling the bed. Sure, the last 20 or so pieces were pine, but I was too tired to give a crap about climbing the woodpile AGAIN so I settled for the easy pickings near the base of the wood-mountain.
I stopped at a gas station near the pallet factory, and got a poweraid to rejuvenate myself, and wryly patted myself on the back. I had secured a whole truckload of fire pit goodness! I slowly crept home, savoring my electrolyte laden beverage.
A few blocks from my house, realization set in. I was going to have to unload all that damn wood! Ah, hell! I backed into the driveway, and got as close as I could to where I stack firewood, about 20 yards away. The firewood stared up out of the truck bed balefully back at me. It laughed. Or maybe I did. surely that wasn't a crazed sob that came from my lips?
I dreadfully cleared a path between my preferred firewood location and my truck. with grit and determination, I dutifully wheeled the wheelbarrow over to my truck. I started loading into the wheelbarrow. Was this wood heavier? Surely if each piece weighs this much, my rear tires should be flat! Over the course of the next hour, I made approximately 11 million trips back and fourth between my truck and the wood pile, neatly stacking each piece. Some of the stacks may look like a drunk with the shakes stacked it, but it must be because the wood was uneven. I take pride in stacking wood neatly.
Did you know that firewood has teeth? I didn't. But it must be true. I was stacking wood as carefully as can be (an outside observer may have thought I was worn-out and half-heartedly throwing wood willey-nilly on the stack, but this is a technique I learned from my father. It keeps your neighbors from feeling bad about themselves when they see you preforming nigh-superhuman feats of endurance), when one reached out with its teeth and bit me! Right into my cuticle on my right middle finger! As I said, I was being very careful to stack it neatly in spite of my neighbors oddly standing around pointing and laughing, so I know I couldn't have inadvertently smashed it between 2 pieces of firewood.
Finally the last piece of wood was stacked. I put the wheelbarrow away. I heard the leaf Springs on my F-150 sigh in relief. I'm pretty sure it was the leaf springs. I mean, I know it wasn't me... my sighs are quiet and dignified, not loud and screeching...
Anyway, the wood is stacked, and I am all set for a cheery fire that i can't enjoy, because the rain came in, damnit!
I'm sure that cruel witch at the pallet factory that convinced me that I was getting a STEAL on a truckload of wood for 20 dollars is cackling right now, enjoying my misery that the rain she called in would inflict.


7 comments:
"Approximately 11 million trips" boy I've been there before. Great story!
Ha! Glad ya liked it!
BT&DT...I've yet to determine whether splitting cut firewood before you load it's easier then splitting it after you unload it. Either way kicks my azz...
Indeed. You learned your lessons well.
Learned from the best, Pop.
Sorry for the lack of commenting, Google has you completely blocked and IE says your security certificate is bogus, proceed with caution. And yes, firewood DOES bite! And kneecaps you, and hits you in the back... sigh
Damn Google! Thanks for the heads up, NFO. I'll look in to it.
Post a Comment