Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Handguns

After work yesterday I went and spent some of the detail money I've been making. I made a deal with my wife that I would work a bunch of details to get us back flush and build up money for Christmas, but I was going to buy a gun and accessories for same if we met our financial goals before the detail ran out.

I bought a G17 gen 4 glock, and upgraded the sights to Ameriglo night sights. I am happy with the purchase. I have carried a Glock 19 gen 3 as a work gun for 5 years. I'm intimately familiar with it, and trust in it daily. I like the platform, and accept it's limitations. It is not a safe queen or range toy, and it's not pretty.

But it's a great tool, and it is well designed for its intended task. I decided to go with the 17 because I like the longer grip. I like the modularity of the gen 4 grip as well, but the base size fits my hand best. the texture is much better than on the gen 3 as well.

I feel very comfortable with my 19, but it is owned by my department, and I really wanted a duty weapon that is mine. I don't want to have to learn another gun -even another Glock- if I ever decide to move to another department.

Looking at my handguns today, I have come to realise that I don't have a need for any other handgun at this point in my life. In fact, I have a few superfluous guns. I'm not getting rid of any, because the 3 handguns that I have that don't fill specific roles all have a place in my heart, but I don't see a need to add to my handgun collection anymore.

In the top left, you see my new G17. I hope to become as familiar with it as I am with my department's G19, below it.

Under the 19, you see a Kahr CW9, which is my constant off-duty companion.

Below the Kahr is a Ruger LC-9 that I got for a song, and is my "truck gun". I don't mind if it gets a little beat up, and it's easy to throw in a glove box when I'm going somewhere. it has a belt holster and a pocket holster and an extra magazine with it at all times, and is basically a gun to have on hand for if I ever get caught out without a gun.

Top right is a Taurus 627 Tracker in .357. It's my woods gun. I generally carry it when hunting as a backup/critter repellant/snake medicine.

Below the Taurus is my S&W 638, which is my deep concealment gun. If off-duty, and unable to carry my Kahr, the 638 slips into a pocket.

Below that is my wife's S&W model 60. It's hers, so I don't ever carry it, but it's a dandy little j-frame.

And in the middle are the "superfluous" guns. the top is a 3-inch model 36 which I just LOVE. A 3-inch j-frame is a thing of beauty that has to be experienced to be understood. it carries like a j-frame but shoots like a k-frame. It's a dream to shoot.

Below that is a grail gun of mine, a 1908 pocket hammerless. What can I say, I've had a jones for that gun forever. I finally scratched the itch, and after shooting it, I'm glad I did. It's a JMB work of art.

Lastly is my Great-Great Uncle's backup, a Ruby in 32. that gun was carried small-of-back without a holster by Uncle Roy for his working career as a Cop in Rural Louisiana in the first half of the 20th century. It has stories to tell, and considering that it may have been a relic of WWII, some of them are likely grim. I'll never get rid of that one, strictly due to the family history.

So that's the handguns. Like I said, I think I've got my bases covered in this department. I guess it's time to start cranking out 9mm on the reloading press, and hit the range!

2 comments:

Pawpaw said...

That'll do. For the time being, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Many bases are covered. Two observations. First no .22 pistol? Second the lack of a legit pocket rocket in the Kel Tech P3AT or Ruger LCP size range.