One of the nephews that I got this year wants a bowie knife. He got into the Fast-Draw game with Pawpaw, and all the other teenage boys have bowie knives. I scouted around for a bowie at a decent price, finally finding one for not too much money. It's a cheap one, but it's more "costume" than "survival, so I'm not too worried about it. Thing is, it came with a truly horrendous, pleather sheath... in brown, no less. The boy has all of his fast-draw gear in black, so I'm going to make him a proper sheath for the knife. truth be told, when this is all done, the sheath will be worth more than the knife... but as I said, since it's for costume more than function, doesn't it make sense that it be clad in a really nice sheath?
I hope the boy can appreciate good leather.


2 comments:
He's going to love it. I know he will.
Well, he'll take to throwing the knife at trees, or the wall of the garage, or something big enough that he can hit it (if not stick it).
And sooner rather than later, he'll hit it with the flat of the knife and snap it into pieces.
I know .. that's what I did. Too many times, too many good knives ruined.
He'll end up with a respect for the fragility of steel used wrong.
And he'll still have a good sheath ... which he'll refill eventually at his own expense.
Post a Comment