She wanted a medium brown leather setup with fancy border stamping and teal highlights. And she wanted her CDFA Alias stamped into the belt. Also, she wanted the holster made on a Mernickle pattern, meaning with a certain cant and ride height. My dad had one of those holsters handy, so I borrowed it to get an idea for a pattern.
Her holster is a single layer of very heavy, dense hide. It probably runs 12-13 ounces and is cut from the shoulder of the hide. This means the leather is very, very dense and is about a quarter inch thick. Mernickle uses 2 thinner layers sandwiched together. Both ways have their advantages, but I personally prefer using a single thickness when possible, so that's the way I went. I also made her holster slightly longer than the Mernickle, as on theirs the barrel of the gun ever so slightly stuck out the bottom. That will not happen on mine. Lastly, I omitted the bullet deflector. Not because they are not a good idea, but because I didn't have suitable material to make one, and they are not required for competition.
This is the end result. I think she'll like it.



6 comments:
Yep, I think she'll like it just fine.
I cant wait to try it out!
That's a beauty.
I haven't checked in in a while. WOW! Your leather work is incredible!
Wilson, Jay, thanks! Obviously I have been neglecting my blog. I'll have some new stuff up shortly.
Nice looking rig! :-)
Post a Comment