I've been saving pennies and Leatherworking profits for months, saving up for a new concealed carry piece. I've been strongly considering a G26, because Glocks are solid preformerrs and it would take the same mags as my duty gun. I can pick up a LEO model with 3 mags and night sights for right at $500 out the door.
But, I stopped by a local pawnbroker the other day, and saw a lonely S&W 640 in the case. That's the hammerless, stainless steel model.
I did a Jim March checkout on it, and it's solid. No endshake, no cracks in frame or forcing come areas, crown is in good shape, bore has no pitting, all cylinder bores look as good, as far as I could tell. It has a pinned front sight, so I could put an aftermarket big dot or fiber optic option in it. It also has a set of Crimson Trace grips. And is chambered in .357, and doesn't have the stupid lawyer lock...
It was marked at 599, but the counter guy said if I walked in with 5 bills, he thought the manager would let it go. It came out the back 6 days ago.
The biggest problem is, I have a soft spot for j-frame. I love em. So, should I embrace this, and enjoy the 640, accepting it's limitations as a J-frame, and just admit that I have a soft spot for them?
Or should I stick with the G26, which is objectively a better choice for a lot of things?
20 minutes ago

3 comments:
If you want it, buy it. I'd offer 'em $400 (or, being cheap, I'd start at $350 and go up). List is $750 for new. So I figure it should go for no more than $425 used.
If it fits your needs and is what you want, then get it. If you get it at a fair price.
YMMV
Seems like you are pretty stacked on J frames already. Cool new toy aside I don’t think the 640 would really give a new capability. A Glock 26 gives you 11 rounds of 9mm in a blocky but pretty concealable package. I find them easier to conceal than the Kahr CW9. Also would be a natural back up piece for you.
Related I am really excited about the new Sig 365. A G26 capacity in basically a single stack 9mm profile. You wouldn’t think that .2 matters but it really does.
I love my 642 J-frame with the Crimson Trace. That set-up has my vote.
Post a Comment