Here is the new Portmanteau that I made to carry my leather working kit. It's about 10 inches long, just for a size reference. It's basically a small leather tool bag. There is a scroll embroidered on the lid, and it has been blacked with an iron and vinegar stain, followed by a heavy oil coating. I have been furiously antiquing in order to get together a decent leather working kit, and while I still need a few things, I feel pretty happy with what I have so far. It's enough to go on with.
In the below picture, you'll see my kit as of today. The bottom of the portmanteau is in the top of the picture, again for size reference. My kit consists of, left to right:
A small pencil, a leather knife, a dog-leg square awl, a round awl, a set of dividers, a brass-bound boxwood folding ruler, a block of beeswax, linen thread, a needle case, and a set of calipers.
All I need to complete my kit is a tap-awl, a rawhide mallet, a square, a diamond awl, a small tin to hold my wax block, a few more needles, and a pair of needle pliers.
Yay for antique stores!



2 comments:
You can find a new rawhide mallet at harbor freight ,they are still used to work sheet metal
Excellent! thanks for th heads-up, B.
Post a Comment