Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stock Finished (or 'Look, I Made a Gun!')


Ok, so I didn't actually make a gun, I just put a stock on one, but the Wife and I were at a friend's house eating barbecue the other week, and said friend commented that my blog had two types of posts :Look, I made something! , and Look, I have a gun!....


I responded by commenting that I also sometimes posted about food, but whatever. The parenthesised title is for her.



Anyway, I filled the right-handed bolt handle hole in my rifle stock, then I painted it. The paint isn't an exact match, but it's close. And, yeah, I'm no professional gunsmith, but I'm happy with the results.




After the bedding compound set up, I cleaned it up with a pocketknife and a file. I then put a light coat of ultra-flat camouflage green paint on the epoxied spot. After it dried a bit, I put it in it's case and left it alone for a week. It's hard to tell in the photos, but apparently the epoxy wasn't fully dry, and it reacted with the paint, giving the epoxy a slightly textured appearance that more closely matches the stock. Happy mistake. Here's a wider shot.






I know it's a bit amateur-ish, but hell, I'm an amateur. I'll let ya'll know how it shoots.

No comments: