Sunday, November 25, 2012

It's been sew-sew, lately...

Actually, it's been great, but I've been sewing a lot the last 3 days. I am getting ready for my next encampment, and I needed to make sure my boy had acceptable cold-weather clothing. I had an abandoned capote I was making for myself, but when I was halfway through, I realised that I didn't have a big enough blanket, so it got shoved to the back of the closet and forgotten. When trying to figure out what to do about my son's lack of cold-weather clothing, I stumbled upon it, and realised that I probably had enough to make a capote for him. I took his measurements, and got to work. In keeping with the french marines, the cloth is a heavy, cream-colored wool, and I used navy blue wool yarn to sew it. It took about 6 hours, but it turned out nice.

The next day, I was talking with my wife, and she informed me that she had not gotten around to sewing the neck line, cuffs, or gussets on her shift. Another 6 hours later, and I completed her shift. Will I ever win any sewing contests? No. But are we ready for the reenactment? You bet we are!

No comments: