Friday, December 7, 2012

Mail

I leave for the annual December Encampment this afternoon, and as I was gathering up my gear, the mail lady pulled into my drive. She had a Package-O-Happiness for me. Mike W. ( http://mrwill-dointhetimewarp.blogspot.com/ ...sorry, linkie no workie )Had sent me a grab-bag to make any reenactor jealous. In the photo, you see clockwise, from top left: a Case Sodbuster Jr, one of my favorite pocketknives. I posted about them a while back, and how Ihad one, and lost it. Mike remembered the post. A shellaced rawhide tobacco pouch, a pipe tamp, and a wrapped pipe. This is super awesome, as aside from being period correct, I'm a pipe smoker, so I'll USE this. That big packet of paper? 18th century cleaning methods for flintlocks. Cool, no? An envelope, to send some money for the knives. There's an old superstition about any knife given between friends cutting the friendship. I believe this superstition, so even if Mike didn't include an envelope, I woulda dropped a dime in the mail to him, anyway, so it worked out. Lastly, two belt knives. The one with the wrapped handle is for me, and the walnut handled one is for my wife. Mike left the sheath making to me, as I am a *hrm!* leatherworker, after all.

This was an amazing box to get, and I'm thrilled with all the goodies, and I can't wait to use' em this weekend.

But Mike wrote me a letter, too. One law enforcement professional to another, and there's a bit of sage advice in that letter, and an admonishment to stay safe.

I have to say, the letter is probably my favorite thing from the box.

No comments: