My wife loves horses. She works for a vet clinic, so she loves all animals, but she LOVES horses. We faithfully watch the triple crown every year, and this year, she told me she wanted to see horse races for her birthday. Grandma agreed to watch the boy-o last night, and we headed to a racetrack and casino, Evangline Downs, about an hour south of us. You can see my bride in the pink sleeveless top, to the right of the picture. We got there as the first race started, and watched about 7 races, sitting right across from the finish line. The races were about every 30 minutes, so between races, we enjoyed the evening and drank beer.
Plenty of familys were around, with fathers explaining to daughters the merits of this bloodline over that, and who the best trainers were. I'm a somewhat tall guy, so every time I saw a furtive pre-teen looking for a place to see the race, I'd step back and let them have my spot on the finish line. I watched the races mostly over the top of my wife's head.
We ate a wonderful prime-rib buffet in the casino and played penny-slots for about an hour, where I turned a dollar into 6, and lost it all.
We spent a grand total of 55 dollars and had a wonderful evening of food, drink, and gambling.
And we got to watch poetry in motion. We saw horses run.


No comments:
Post a Comment