Sunday, May 5, 2013

Wants

In lieu of actual content, I'm posting a list of the guns/accessories I would buy tomorrow, if I had the funds on hand.

Glock G-19, gen4- I have one as my duty gun. 2 is one, one is none. ( plus, I already have a bunch of holsters/accessories that fit it)

AR-15- I don't care if it's a low-end one or not. This rifle would be my patrol rifle, and I'd probably mount it with a fixed 6x scope and a set of back-up iron sights. If it was reliable and delivered relatively good accuracy out to 200 yards, that's all i'd want it for.

Remington 870, LE model- wood stock, though. I read a post about self defense from Xavier once, and it could be summed up like this: If you did have to shoot someone to protect yourself or others, and you did have to go before a jury, would you want them displaying a tacticool, collapsible stocked, laser mounted shotgun, or one that resembled the juror's grandad's duck gun? Further, when I go to qualify every year, I bring my dad's wood-stocked 870. It makes me chuckle to outshoot most of the guys there with one of the most unassuming guns on the line.

Wood grips and a left handed SERPA holster for my Smith and Wesson 638. Wood grips, because the rubber ones constantly stick in my pocket, and a SERPA holster because on the days I'm in the office, I'd like to tote a lighter gun than my Glock 19.

Parkerized, ambi thumb safety and decent 3-dot sights ( possibly even tritium) for my Springfield 1911. If I got these two upgrades, I would feel comfortable carrying my 1911. As it stands, the sights are sub-par, and being left handed, I really need safetys I can operate easily on a carry gun.

A rail mount and a 3-6 inch bipod for my Savage. I have a 'ultimate sniper' stock on it, and it's a great stock. Unfortunately, they have a proprietary mounting system, so I need the adapter to properly mount a bipod. Further I have a 6-9 inch bipod, and it's just too tall for that setup.

Lastly, a .22 LR revolver. Really, I just want a 'plinking' gun, and a gun to introduce new shooters. I feel that revolvers are less intimidating to new shooters, which is why I want a revolver over a semi-auto.

There you have it!- my 'buy tomorrow if money fell out of my butt list'.

2 comments:

Pawpaw said...

Interesting, putting up a want list a couple months before your birthday.

Anonymous said...

1) Generally speaking the AR market has got a lot better in recent years, most noteably some pretty good guns at pretty reasonable prices.

If I was in the market for a budget AR it would be an S&W M&P. Last I looked they could be had in the mid 6 bones range so now it would likely be low 7's.

Another option is to build one. From someplace like Palmetto State Armory you can do that for upper 5 bills range.

As to optics. I would look at the Burris MTAC. They make a 1-4x as well as a 1.5-6. The scope has an illuminated reticle and a BDC for 62gm M855. I have the 1-4x. Keep it at 1x and with the illum on it is almost like a red dot. The glass is as clear as an ACOG. If I had it to do over again I might get the 1.5-6 though down here unless we are on a road or pipeline 4x can range anything.

Incidentally I purchased and refurbished a Remington 870P not too long ago. Wood stock, ghost ring sights, extended tube. The finish was trashed so I used Black brownells alumahyde to redo it. The end result is a normal looking black shotgun with wood furniture front and back and a light up front.

Since coming down here where there seems to be on average a shotgun per citizen I switched to it as my HD long gun. The reason for this is if heaven forbid I need to shoot somebody with it and it goes to trial a plain ole 870 is what I want them to see. The same gun a notable percentage of the room or their families own.