Sunday, August 11, 2013

Bobbing the Hammer on a J-Frame

My wife has been telling me recently that she would like to get the hammer bobbed on her Smith and Wesson model 60. She said that the appendix holster I made for her a few months ago is wonderful, but the hammer keeps poking her, and over the course of a few hours, it gets very uncomfortable. Well, we took her 60 to my father's for Sunday lunch, and after consulting dad's S&W manual, I started disassembling the gun, and got the hammer out. Now, my natural talents only extend a bit into metalwork, but my brother was there, and he's a whiz at all things metal. I explained what I wanted, and he got to work.

First, he cut off the majority of the spur with a cut-off wheel. Next, he used a flat-bastard file, and removed a lot more metal. He then went to needle files. After that, he used a bit of coarse emery cloth, then switched to a stone bit in a drill. Finally, he used a buffing wheel with valve-grinding compound.

I got the little j-frame all put back together, and we shot a few rounds through it. Everything functions like it should, and my wife's carry piece is exactly what she wants. I even learned a bit about gunsmithing along the way. Ya know, this project went easier than I expected, and I'm immensely pleased with the result.

1 comment:

Pawpaw said...

It worked out, didn't it?