My oldest brother has had this pocket knife for years. It's badged Smith and Wesson, and its an assisted open knife with a pocket clip. Problem is, he says when he carries it in his pocket, sometimes the blade opens up. Last time this happened, he sliced his pinkie open pretty good while getting something from his pocket. So... he carries it in a belt sheath. Further problem: the sheath it came with is a one-size-fits-none nylon number that flops around. It doesn't hold the knife that well, and the Velcro is starting to wear out.
So he asked me to make him a sheath. He wanted a simple leather sheath the fit the knife snugly and had a sturdy belt loop. So I made him one. Of course, I had to imbellish just a little bit, so I added a stitch-line reminiscent of a fleur-de-lis. Also, I like having a lanyard on a pocketknife that allows one. I tend to make them with complicated knots for several reasons: they look nice, they help you find them if they fall on the ground, and it puts a substantial amount of cordage in your pocket. You never know when having some rope handy will save your ass. His pocketknife now has about 7 feet of tarred Marline on it, in a pretty package that is just over 4 inches long. He may decide he doesn't like it, and can take it off, but I couldn't give it back without adding a bit of pretty, potentially ass-saving decoration.
Hope he likes it.



2 comments:
Great job. I know he'll be thrilled with it.
Very nice work. I'm sure he will like it.
Post a Comment