That's what I smell like. It's been an interesting few days, building a table in my grandfather's shop. I've ended up with a piece that speaks to me. The trestle table design is hundreds of years old, and this table, with it pegged joints would be right at home in a french campsite, circa 1750. It will, however reside in my kitchen, and family will gather around it on thanksgiving to celebrate kinship and togetherness. The juxtaposition of circular saws with wooden mallets and chisels was interesting. I did enjoy using some of my period-correct tools, and I pegged everything, using no screws or nails in the project, but I couldn't resist the siren call of the power saw.... my shoulder is thankful, I'm sure.
I have 2 more coats of boiled linseed oil to apply, but the project is done for all intents and purposes, and I'm deeply satisfied with the result.



4 comments:
Well Done! The old man would approve
You did a fine job. Your grandchildren will love it.
thanks, Mike!
Very nice!
Post a Comment