Sunday, November 10, 2013

Woodworking

There's something very soothing about working in my grandfather's shop (right outside the door, actually, so as not to make a mess). I'm using my tools, mostly, but I did borrow his router and saw-horses. Weirdly, although this is one of the most ambitious woodworking projects I've ever tackled, I haven't fretted about the way it's going to turn out. Wood has a soul of it's own, and it's going to do what it wants, to an extent, but I know... I KNOW how this is going to turn out. It'll be the best piece of carpentry I've made yet. No where near as nice as what my grandfather could do, but better than anything I've ever made. It's like he's been looking over my shoulder the past two days, and coaching me, so that I don't rush, and make a mistake. Here you see the table mocked up. I wasn't frustrated, and I had nothing else pressing, but with two hours of daylight left, I KNEW it was time to quit for the day.

It's like Pop's standing here, keeping me from getting ahead of myself.

I miss him deeply, but today, in his shop, I swear he was hanging out with me all afternoon.

1 comment:

Pawpaw said...

It's a great start. Take your time and let the project talk to you.