Saturday, March 1, 2014

New Wheels

Picked up a 2000 model Ford Ranger last night. It's 14 years old, but only has 76000 miles on it. The engine is very clean, with very little buildup under the oil filler cap, and the transmission fluid is bright with no debris in it.  The couple selling it is moving to Japan in 3 weeks, so I got it for a song.

The list of negatives? Well, they're mostly nit-picky stuff, but:

Passenger side bed rail the clear coat is flaking.
No cruise control.
Bad cabin light switch in passenger door.
Small leak in power steering reservoir.

Plusses?

Low mileage
New tires
Extended cab, 4 door
Low mileage
Great price
V-6
Low mileage
Well-maintained
AND
Low mileage

I'm going to the DMV probably tomorrow to finish filing the requisite paperwork, but I'm happy to have a clean little pickup again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drove one of those around NE Montana one summer talking to crazy ranchers for a summer job my first year in college. I really liked that little truck. If ford ever brought back the small truck (especially with a diesel engine) I'd be all over it.

Pawpaw said...

Nice! Those Fords had a problem with the power steering pump leaking a little fluid. It wasn't a big deal, just something you had to watch. Matt may know of a work-around.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Yeah, I'm planning on talking to Matt about the switch in the door, too. I can't drive it till Monday, though, when I go to the DMV and get a tag.

Matt said...

Yea I've got a fix for the door. Ps pump I'll have to look at. Good looking truck! On that model does it have a third opening door?

Matt said...

I guess I should have read more thoroughly, extended cab 4 door! Excellent! That makes it A LOT better than the extended cab 2 door '97 that I had.