Monday, June 23, 2014

Belts

The Other Ryan at www.tslrf.blogspot.com has a post up about belts and holsters. I have been following his blog for a while, because while I have never met him, he lives in roughly the same geographical region as I do, so his posts about choices of gear and specific survival skills are relevant to me due to their applicability to my geographical location. (I really need to add him to my side bar)

Anyway, I have a dual need for gear. What is applicable for duty use, even in a moderately plain-clothes assignment is widely different than what I need during my personal time, when I tend to carry smaller, lighter firearms and about 15 pounds less gear. I will not get into weapons, holsters or other gear in this post. This post is about belts.

With the rare exception of when I wear a true duty belt or a dress belt for court, I wear one belt. Being a leatherworker, I am partial to, well, leather. Picking a sturdy piece of vegetable tanned leather is fairly easy, these days, as Tandy Leather makes belt blanks, and uses high-quality hides. They can be had for about 12 dollars at Hobby Lobby. They come with snaps for adding a buckle, but I usually cut the snaps off and stitch a buckle on permanantly. The belts come in lengths up to 48 inches, so it's easy to get one big enough, and trim to length. These belt blanks are thick, and are about 1 and 1/2 inches in height. Now, leather breaks down over time, so it will need to be replaced every 4 years or so (mine is approaching this mark, so I need to get another one). Still, for 12 bucks, that's only 3 dollars a year.

I would literally trust this belt to hold me up, hanging off the side of a mountain, and I trust it to keep my firearm tight to my side on duty.

There are a lot of options for belts out there, but a full-grain, vegetable-tanned leather belt has a lot to recommend it. For under 20 bucks, you can have one that lasts for years with very little work to make it what you want.

Just my 2 cents.

1 comment:

Pawpaw said...

I bought a belt at Economy Boots last week. About $20.00, it is a "blank" in that it is long and has no buckle holes. When you buy it, the guy measures you and trims it, then adds the buckle holes.