Monday, June 30, 2014

National Museum of Naval Aviation

On our trip to see my wife's family this week, we stopped to see the National Museum of Naval Aviation. Short version? If you are in the area, GO.

We pulled up to the gate, and since it is an active military base, there were M.P.'s at the gate, and no firearms signs. When I got to the gate, I showed my badge, and asked if they had a storage box for handguns. The MP advised that they didn't, and they didn't allow firearms on base, even though I was a cop. Seeing my badge was a Louisiana issue, he asked where I lived. I told him, and he commented that his wife was from Baton Rouge.  He then sighed and handed me a pass. "Look, man, I appreciate your honesty. Leave it locked in the car, and enjoy the museum. "

Good guy, that MP.

Anyway, the museum has hundreds of planes, representing the span of the entire history of flight in the US Navy. It is an amazing museum, and to truly experience it, one should plan at least 6 hours. We were there for 3, and didn't see an entire hangar.

Trust me, this one is worth going to.

1 comment:

Pawpaw said...

Interesting. Both the airplanes and the MP at the gate.