I asked my neighbor, Mike, to save me any empty pry-top beer bottles he ran across a whole back. He asked why, and I explained that I threw away a lot of my bottles for brewing beer when I moved, and I needed to replinish stock. He gave me a few six-packs worth over tale last few months, and he asked a few weeks ago when I was planning on brewing. He was interested in the process.
We made plans for a brew day, I went and bought an Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale brewing kit, and we planned to get it going in time to drink pumpkin beer for haloween.
We brewed Sunday, and I set up the fermenter in the bedroom. The bedroom is cool and dark, so what could go wrong?
My wife woke me in the wee hours, saying that my beer was making funny noises, keeping her from a restful sleep.
I dragged the whole mess into the kitchen at around 3am, and I'm glad that I did.
It blew up. BLEW UP.
Beer was everywhere. Apparently the fermentation was quite vigorous, and caused the airlock to blow. There was beer foam in a neat circle, directly over where the fermenter was. The airlock was on the counter nearby, and every wall in the kitchen had beer splatter on it. The entire floor was sticky.
I managed to clean it all up nicely, and still make it to work on time, but those high-sugar content beers will do some crazy things! Also, the beer didn't appear to be hurt in the least. It is still doing fine, 2 days later.


4 comments:
LOL, it's a 'learning' experience, right? :-)
Indeed it is, NFO! And a mighty tasty experience, at that!
Oh, tears in my eyes. Not from crying, you understand.
Oh, I t about left me in tears, too, Paw-Paw. But because I had to clean it up...
Post a Comment