Saturday, October 17, 2015

36

Well, I have pretty much given up on carrying my Kahr CW9. Don't get me wrong, there are no problems with that gun. It's a great gun. It's just not the gun that I am most comfortable carrying, anymore.

I tend to favor revolvers over autos. Now, I like autos, and carry one on duty. I'm not backwards enough to still distrust autos in this day-and-age. There are literally hundreds of dead-nuts reliable autos out there that I would be comfortable trusting my life with, if I got enough trigger time behind them.

But I LIKE revolvers. Yeah, I admit a bias that doesn't have any basis in actual application. I just like revolvers more than semi-autos. Revolvers have soul.

But with a carry gun, I am always trying to strike a balance. I want a gun that is easy to conceal, comfortable on the belt, but that is as close in size to a fighting pistol as I can get, while maintaining small enough dimensions to carry OWB, and still easily conceal it with a shirt.

For the last year or so, that gun has been a Kahr CW9. If checked all the boxes for me.

But since getting the Model 36, it has taken over as my daily carry piece. With the 3 inch, heavy barrel, and the Pachmayr grips, this little j-frame handles like a fighting revolver.

But it still carries like a j-frame. I have carries it off-duty every day for a week. I know I need to carry it more to truly get a feel for how it is going to work out long-term, but I can conceal it under a polo-shirt, and I can carry it all day without it rubbing wrong or getting heavy and uncomfortable.

I feel like this is a perfect carry solution for me.

6 comments:

Pawpaw said...

Ain't it amazing how a J-frame will get under your skin?

Old NFO said...

Very nice, and nothing wrong with a J-frame!!!

pignock said...

I've got the j-frame bug baaaad.

My warm weather daily carry is a bone stock 442. In the coldest months, I switch to a 640 Pro (loaded with 38 specials) and my woods gun is a 3" model 60 that I stoke with 357s.

This is part of my holster dilemma - three revolvers of the same frame size but different enough that each requires a different different holster.

And a that'll get worse if I ever find my unicorn - an old school model 63 with a round butt.

Another good post.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Paw- yes. Yes it is!

NFO- nothing wrong at all!

Keith- I hear you. Part of the reason that I really got in to holster making is because I wanted to try out different types of holsters, but couldn't afford to buy them. For the cost of one holster, I can buy supplies enough to make 7 or 8. A GREAT TUTORIAL on holster making can be found at www.jdlawhon.com

That guy was a great resource for me when I got started.

Anonymous said...

"I'm not backwards enough to still distrust autos in this day-and-age."

The hard truth is that if anything the opposite is true. Say we grabbed any stock revolver and modern universal service pistol (Glock, M&P, etc) and a wheel barrow full of ammo and shoot them to failure? We could define failure as the gun failing to function at a rate above 95%. What if we took both guns and threw them onto a cement slab?

Still I love revolvers and they are plenty reliable for normal citizen (or LEO though the round count is problematic) to carry.

The 3" J frame is a very versatile wheel gun, shoots much better than a 2" but carries about the same. They are probably the Glock 19 of revolvers. In my family there is a 3" Model 60 with adjustable sights and the stock rubber grips. That is a darn handy little wheel gun. Some day I will probably get one, pre lock of course.

Nice wheel gun you have there.

OWB concealed carry is an interesting concept.

Taking a step back I think we have to look at degrees of concealment. Kind of a chart with levels of clothing on one side (winter coat down to t shirt or tank top) and degree of concealment (covered but obvious bulge to absolutely unspottable like Ruger LCP in pocket). The right answer for one person, lifestyle or situation might not be the same as for another.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Good points, all, Ryan. The more I think about your comment, the more I feel that I need to discuss my feelings about revolver and semi-auto reliability in a separate post.

Thanks for the comment! I enjoy all comments, but especially ones that make me think!