For 2k, I have Half-a-mind to just buy a transmission from J.C. Whitney or Jegs or Auto-Zone for about $1500 bucks. Install that bad boy myself, and save $500. The only problem with that is that I have no idea how to swap a transmission. So the Half-a-mind plan may come out the half-assed plan...
20 minutes ago

5 comments:
Oh, hell, son, I'm sorry to hear about that.
Believe me, Pops, I'm sorry to hear it, too. Especially now that my brother the ace mechanic lives so far away. Makes me realize how good he is to us. After seeing what mechanics make on the open market, it kinda makes me feel like I owe him a few steak dinners.
He's just gonna have to wait on them till after I sell a kidney to pay for this, though! 😂
Talk to your mech, give him the poor-boy treatment. Maybe he can find a rebuilt one or something, save you a couple of hundred bucks.
I went through the same with an otherwise pristine 94 Dakota earlier this year. The problem with the shady tree mechanic swap out is you need to flush out the transmission cooling system. A bit hard to do if you don't have the equipment. Also need to put on a new torque converter as the old one will be full of debris. So that will be an additional cost beyond your purchase price. And then there is the PITA of trying to do it on your back without a proper lift. Depending on the vehicle you may need to spend some money on the exhaust as the tranny won't come out with it in the way. I shopped around and got prices up to 3 grand for a re-manufactured one installed by AMOCO. More than the truck was worth. I finally settled on a local mechanic with a decent reputation who repairs my town's DPW vehicles that quoted me 1500 $ to rebuild mine. He did a decent enough job of it. Look in to you local high-school vocational program or local tech-school they may do the job for the cost of the parts. Greetings from Maine, Michael
Thanks for the advice, Michael. I am definitely looking at a few options!
Post a Comment