Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Single-Six

One of the secretaries at work came to me the other day, and said she heard I did Leatherworking. I told her that I do, and she said, "here, let me call my husband". I spoke with him on the phone, and he explained what he wanted.

He has a Ruger Single-Six, that was his daddy's, before his dad passed away. It was left to him. He remembers shooting it as a kid, and always thinking of it as "daddy's cowboy gun"

"I know it's kinda silly, but I always wanted a western holster for it. One like in the old movies".

"That's not weird at all. You want to scratch a nostalgia itch, and honor your father's memory. Tell me what this rig looks like."

He wanted it dark brown, with a little bit of border stamping. Nothing too fancy. A wide belt, to wear low around the hips. And the holster needed a tie-down, to go around your leg. He was adamant about that.

I got my secretary to bring me the gun, and the measurement of her husband's hips the next day.

I have about 10 hours in this, and I think it's a fair product for the $250 we agreed upon.

He hasn't seen it yet. I still need to burnish the edges, and oil it, after I give it a day or two to let the dye dry.

But I'm betting he'll like it. I hope he catches a bit of that boy he was, walking next to daddy, every time he straps it on and heads into the woods.

6 comments:

Jerry The Geek said...

Wow!
That looks really great.

If I had a rig like that, I wouldn't have given away my Convertible Six.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Thanks, Jerry! I think he will like it. And those old single-action .22's are a lot of fun! Everyone needs one.

Pawpaw said...

Very nicely done. Very nice indeed.

Matt said...

Nice. I'm sure his pop would approve.

drjim said...

Beautiful work.

What did you use for the Ruger logo?

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Drjim: I used a swivel knife to get the outline, and a thin textured stamp to set it below the debth of the rest of the leather. That's just some basic tooling. I'm admittedly not great at tooling, but I can do small stuff like that!