So I've been thinking about my gun situation, and this year I want to get more deliberate about my gun acquisition process. One of the things I've been really wanting is a good multi-purpose bolt rifle. Now, the scout rifle concept is really where I think the crossroads of functionality come together for a all-around rifle.
My total wants are:
-medium to heavy barrel profile
-easily acquired sighting through a scope
-back up iron sights
-threaded barrel
-.308 chambering
-detachable box magazine
-short barrel
Now, I have a .308 bolt gun, but it is definitely a bench gun. It weighs in North of 9 pounds, if I had to guess offhand. It's not practical for stalking game. Nor is it practical for patrolling. But it will shoot tiny groups, which is what I wanted when I got it.
But truthfully, it's not really what I want now.
So I could buy a scout rifle, like the Savage Scout, or the Ruger Gunsite, in left hand....
And I would spend a mint.
I've been thinking of taking the target stock off my Savage 110. Taking it to a competent gunsmith, and getting the barrel cut to 18 inches and threaded. Putting a XS Clifton scout scope mount on it. Having the Smith install a weaver peep and a front sight blade on it. Attaching a long-eye relief scope on quick-detach mounts...
I'm not sure if it would save much money over just buying a deer rifle and calling it good, but I wonder if I would be happier with the result than having 2 rifles, one for "target" shooting and one for hunting. I feel like I would be happier with one rifle that was decent at both tasks.
What say you internet? I'm definitely interested in ya'lls opinion.
24 minutes ago

7 comments:
Funny how our wants/needs change over time. There's lots to say about a light, handy rifle.
Check the old Remington 660 series. Nice handy carbines. I've got a cool oddball model- a .308 in the laminated magnum model stock. Flat and wide fore-end, fast-handling 'dogleg' bolt handle, shoulders nicely. I've got one at the gunsmith getting set-up real slick-like with a Decelerator, Cerakote, a Leupold 1.75X6, trigger job, etc. Jeff Cooper used a 660 .308 with a Leupold pistol scope as a prototype scout rifle. Hope that helps!
Springfield M-1A with 18" barrel.
DSArms FAL with 18" barrel.
PTR Industries PTR-91, with 16" or 18" barrel.
You will love any or all of them.
Pick what YOU want, not what we prattle about... But I'd be cautious on the heavy barrel, it's a b**ch to swing and stop on a target. Just sayin...
I say keep the savage the way it is and get another rifle that is up to the list of things you want. If you modify the savage I think you will regret it later.
I don't know about the Savage but I've heard lots of good things about the Ruger.
Don't mess with the bolt gun you have. It is great for what it. If you do mess with it it will still be heavy due to the barrel. An you will be building another one in a couple years. Keep it in the safe.
Unless rate of fire really matters does it have to be a lefty? If you give on the detachable box mag the Savage Hog Hunter is a nice rifle well under 5 bills. The Scout is a bit more expensive.
Outside the box have you considered a .308 semi auto? PTR-91's can be had around $800 or DSA Voyager FAL's at a grand. DPMS AR-10's are in the 800-1k range. FWIW I should have gotten an AR-10 instead of my FAL.
Post a Comment