I've never been one to baby tools. I take care of them, but I have no problem using them hard. When they break, I fix them, and if they are beyond fixing, I get another. Tools are to make my work easier. They are not talismans that must be treasured.
Still, maintainence goes a long way, and kept the axe working through 12 years of hard use. The old handle had been slightly splintered under the head for years, but my neighbor borrowed it to split wood after having a few beers about a month back. On one particular swing, he must have missed the log with the head, and bounced the handle on the log.
The handle was no longer smooth enough to allow your hand to slide down during the swing, so I found a handle at a hardware store for about 10 bucks.
I cleaned and sharpened the head, then repainted it. I didn't have any red, so it got a coat of tan. I got a few drips. Oh well.
After removing the old handle with a saw, drill, and chisel, I began shaping the new handle. It took about an hour with a wood rasp and draw-knife. I got it to fit right, and drove home the wooden wedge.
Last, I cut the top just a little proud of the top of the axe head, and seated 3 'keys', little metal wedges that go across the grain structure of the handle, and really make the head tight.
And now, I have a working axe again. It cost about 12 bucks, 2 hours of labor with hand tools, and some sweat. Much better than going to buy another $45 dollar axe, huh?




6 comments:
I found that axe in Spring 2001 while digging shovel test pits for an archaeological survey. Of all the things that could have stayed with me through 13+ moves, I'm amused that this is it. It's a great axe, thank you!
Well done. Didn't Clint Eastwood say that there is really nothing as good as a nice piece of hickory?
There's a YouTube video of a guy making a axes handle out of a piece of aluminum bullet. He did some awesome work. I just don't know how bad vibrations you would get with an aluminum handle.
*axe handle, and *aluminum billet
Pawpaw- Ha! I just had to pull up that clip from Pale Rider. What a great scene!
Think I have an old one around here somewhere. You just motivated me to fix it like you did.
Post a Comment