Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Knives

Ok, ok, ok.

I've not been a very good blogger lately. No excuse, I've just gotten caught up in day-to-day life, and it seems that I haven't had anything interesting to write about.

BUT

I've been thinking about knives lately. I always carry a pocket knife. For the past few months, I've been carrying an Opinel No. 7 in a belt sheath, and it's been a great little tool. It's design is antiquated, but it's great steel, holds a great edge, is small enough to go wherever I go, but large enough to do whatever job I may need it to do. I'll always carry a pocket knife, but I don't consider it a self defense tool.

I was recently given a used Gerber boot-type dagger. I think it originally came with a rubberized handle, but it seems as if it's been stripped down to a plastic core, and the tip was dinged. I resharpened the edge and reestablished the tip, and wrapped the handle in parachute cord. It's a great little knife (it's a Gerber, after all), but I don't really have much of a use for it. I mean, if I'm ever in a situation that I feel I can't get away from and I need to arm myself, well, that's why I carry a gun. Sure, if I'm in a state that doesn't reciprocate with my CCW, it's be the best available option, but that's a very specialized application.

So.... how do ya'll feel about a backup knife to your carry weapon? is it redundant, or just being prepared?

3 comments:

Barrett said...

Come on Joey, you remember the motto,

All together now.....

BE PREPAIRED

Pawpaw said...

I always carry a knife, but I've never considered myself a knife-fighter. That's a specialized skill set that takes a certain amount of training.

Anonymous said...

dont go to a state that wont allow you to carry a gun. Problem solved!