I have been wanting one of those bedside safes for a long time. In my single days, and after getting married, but before we had a child, I kept a handgun on my nightstand. Along came my son, and I had to rethink my game plan. First, when he was an infant, the gun just got moved up higher, but still by the bed. When he took his first wobbly steps, it went on a shelf in the closet. Then it got put in a handgun case in the closet, which is how I have been keeping it for the past few years. Yes, I still have a gun close, but it is not as secure from small hands as I would like, nor is it as accessible to me as I would like.
Well, I got a $50 gift card to bass pro shop for my birthday from my wife's grandparents, and I knew what i needed to get with it- a bedside touch pad gunsafe. I found one that was roughly $50, and brought it home. Now, let's be serious... a $50 gun safe is not the highest quality. It will not stop a determined thief from making off with my gun. But it will stop my 4 year old from getting it, which is what i really want it for anyway.
Now, the factory spring on the safe didn't pop the lid with authority. Hell, it didn't pop it open with a heaving gasp. In fact, about 1 out of 5 times, the factory spring didn't give enough 'oomph' to pop it open at all. But hey, i knew what I bought, and I figured i might have to do some modifications before i even opened the box.
I scrounged around in my dad's garage with my brother, and we found an old spray bottle-like the kind that Formula 409 comes in. We ripped the spray mechanism apart, and removed the spring. It fit perfectly over the housing of the factory spring in my gun safe, but was TOO strong. It was so stiff that the lock mechanism had too much tension on it and wouldn't release. We cut about one twist off the spring, and viola! It works perfectly!
I can now safely keep a firearm by my bedside again, and still keep small fingers away from it!
Success is a great thing.


No comments:
Post a Comment