Sunday, August 26, 2012

Iron Sights

I have been thinking lately about iron sights. I really wanted a good long gun for a BUG out bag, something big enough to take game with, but rugged enough to take a beating without being effected much. I settled my mind on a lever action 30-30 with iron sights.
While at my dad's today, i was discussing the merits of this with him, and he said "hell, why don't you borrow one of mine? I have 3!" We decided that I would bring back the .308 Handi-rifle I borrowed for hunting last year, and I could take home a 30-30. He had one he picked up at a pawn shop that he installed synthetic stocks and peep sights on. Said he had about $125 tied up in it. It looks as if it rode under the seat of a pickup for about 10 years, but the barrel is pristine, and the action is tight for a lever gun. It's a perfect BUG-out gun.
I plan on hunting with it this year, to get comfortable with iron sights again. I haven't done non-scope hunting in probably 10 years. We worked up a hand load for the gun this afternoon, and I shot it in my back yard. The longest shot i could make at my range is 50 yards, but 50 to 100 yards is about as long a shot as you can make in the woods where i live anyway, unless you are on a clearcut. Besides, with iron sights, i wouldn't shoot at much beyond 100 yards anyway.
Shooting from a squat, holding the rifle in my hands, at 50 yards, I put 5 shots in a 3 and 7/8 inch group. That's shooting into the front sight accurate, and that will be a sub 8 inch group at 100 yards, plenty good to harvest deer. I need to adjust the sight to pull the group 2 and 1/2 inches to the left, but otherwise, I'm ready for the woods.
She may not win any beauty contests, but this Winchester '94 is a workhorse, and I feel comfortable with what she can do.
Now to buy a hunting license before October...

3 comments:

Pawpaw said...

After you left today I found a big bag of brass. It's been full-length sized and tumbled clean.

Michael W. said...

Very good choice. The old 30/30 I would dare say has taken more game than any other "big bore" rifle. Plus if you end up in a fillin' station in East Hog's Knuckle and they sell ammunition, you can bet your bottom dollar they will have a box or two for your rifle.

Wilson said...

Very sensible decision, the 30/30 is popular for good reasons. It should serve you well.