Sunday, July 12, 2015

New Holster

I haven't done much leatherworking in the past few months. Life got in the way, I guess. And we all know that a hobby you don't make time for is a hobby you quit doing. I decided that it was time to do some leatherworking. I have recently acquired a good piece of 6-8 oz. Veg-tan leather. I sharpened my leather knife, drew a pattern, and started cutting.

I can't BELIEVE how much I missed working with Veg-tan leather. I have been using Chrome tan leather for the past year or so, because I had a ready, cheap supply. Veg-tan ain't cheap. But as soon as you start working with it, you realize why Veg-tan costs more. I can only liken it to the difference between potter's clay and river mud. Veg-tan leather is just SO MUCH easier to work. And it cuts better. And you can form it. Chrome-tan leather won't form to an oblect like Veg-tan will.

Anyway, I'm happy with my little project, and super excited to be working with quality materials again. In a day or two, the holster will be dry (you have to wet the leather to form it), and I can decide if I want to stain the leather, or leave it natural. After that, I can put some preservative on it, and I will have a dandy new belt holster for my Kahr.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Glad to see you enjoying your hobby again!

Pawpaw said...

Oh, yeah! That's nice. Good work.