Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Gun Porn

A friend came to visit this weekend. He brought a gun to show me. He said they found it when cleaning out his grandfather's house, after he passed. He said he thought his grandfather brought it back from the war.

The lanyard loop is missing, but the threaded hole where it screws in is on t uh e bottom of the grip, and the serial number has a "v" prefix.

Pretty cool old Smith, even with the complete lack of finish, and the surface pitting. Bore looked good, though.

EDIT: apparently you can't see it, but the top strap says that it belongs to the gub'mint. Also, sorry the bottom pic didn't rotate properly...

7 comments:

Old NFO said...

Looks like a Victory model. Lots of them around even up through the 1980s!

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

NFO- yeah, that's what I thought.

Pawpaw said...

Yeah, the V prefix on the serial number is a Victory Model. Lots of them made during WWII, and lots of them sold as surplus. Plus, Grandad brought a lot of them home. Made during the war, they didn't have much finish. Some were blued, some were parkerized. It just depended on which blueing tank they were using that day.

Still cool revolver, and many of them are shooters today.

Anonymous said...

My fighting guns are Glock 9mm's and there is the LCP for running to the neighborhood store and summer carry but otherwise I am pretty ruthless. My only exception is .38/.357 wheel guns. It helps that they are darn handy and pretty versatile. I love me some K frame S&W's. My grail gun is a 4" S&W Model 66 .357. Some day I will hopefully have one. A Victory Model would be a darn cool addition to my collection as would an old school Model 36 Airweight.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Ryan- I hear ya. I tend to carry 9mm semi-autos most all the time. But I love me some wheelguns. My grail gun is a 4 inch model 28 Highway Patrolman.

Old NFO said...

Ryan, try one of the Colt Mustangs and you'll switch in a heartbeat! They have a 'real' trigger... I couldn't hit the barn standing inside it with an LCP...

Wilson said...

Nice old Victory model.