Sunday, July 19, 2015

Retention

I decided to make my wife a new concealed carry holster. She likes carrying AIWB. The holster she has been using for years is one I made about 3 years ago for her. I figured that I have progressed in my leatherworking ability significantly in the last 3 years, and had good leather again, so I might as well try to make her a new holster.

It turned out beautifully. I mean, it was GORGEOUS! Problem was, it came out attached to the gun on the draw stroke. So I thought about that, and realized the belt clip I put on it was rather dinky. So half an hour later, I had taken it apart and installed a better belt clip.

It still came out on the draw stroke, about 75% of the time. F@€k! $h!t!.... that didn't work, so I started thinking about retention. This is a SWEET looking holster. It has been perfectly fitted to my wife's carry gun. It was molded to fit like a second skin... apparently I did such a good job that you can't get the dam thing out of the holster. Made the holster pretty worthless. So I decided to *ahem* judiciously re-contour... the holster.

Now, my wife has a good looking new holster, that actually works like it should.

It was more of a headache than I thought it would be.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you dear husband!

Pawpaw said...

That is a pretty holster, and the dynamics of retention vs draw has been a problem for holster-smiths for years. It's possible to make the gun so secure that you can't get it out. Years ago, the state bought some level II holsters that we couldn't use until we "modified" them. The idea of retention holsters was brand-new and the springs they used were a little stiff. Comical as hell watching a bunch of parole officers snatching their belts up to their armpits trying to get the revolver out of the leather.

Jeff said...

Try a J-hook clip, such as a Blackhawk polymer.

Anonymous said...

I have carried a J frame appendix. An en cheapo Uncle Mikes holster worked OK and a quality sued holster, I want to say a Bianchi, worked a lot better. It was reasonable priced at under $30.

With my Glock, which I also carry appendix, an ND is a real concern. As such I use hard kydex holsters in some form or another. These days I am leaning to a Blade Tech Klip AIWB holster. There are probably nicer ones out there but at $30ish for a professional product (vs more like $100 for the fancy names the cool guys use) it is a high value option.

Leather is fine for a DA wheel gun. Maybe someone has had an ND with a DA Smith but I have never heard of it. At 10-12 lb trigger pull is pretty forgiving.

I absolutely agree with a single attachment to the belt for appendix carry. You might have to adjust the angle a bit to get comfortable which only works with 1 belt attachment.

I am interested in how this project turns out over time.

Old NFO said...

You got it fixed, THAT is what counts!

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Melissa- welcome, love.
Pop- yeah, I bet that was amusing!
John- I plan on buying several different types of clips soon.
Ryan- I will follow up on long-term useage.
NFO- yep!