Sunday, December 13, 2015

Retro Rig

A month or so ago, my dad got me a S&W model 36, 3-inch, in trade for some leatherwork I did for him. I've fallen in live with it, and enjoy shooting it. Last week I qualified with it for on-duty carry. Now, when I do field work, and I know I am going to be running the streets, I carry a Glock 19, 2 reloads, secondary weapons, and a shotgun in my cruiser.

But for sitting around the office, doing paperwork, maybe a quick run to the courthouse?

That model 36 has gotten me jonesing for a retro-rig. Something that would have fit in on the scene of a Miami Vice episode. A 1980's leather rig with a hand-rubbed oil finish.

I just finished this one. Now, the holster and belt I already had. The holster I made a few months ago, and the belt was made a few years ago.

But now, I have a simple, understated classic leather rig for my wheel gun.

I'm happy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1- Very Cool
2- To be period correct you should probably have 2-3 Safariland speed loaders in those little square pouches.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Ryan- thanks! Just so you know, the square pouch resting on the buckle is actually a badge holder neclace. I just piled up the ball-chain on top of my badge, so that it would be hard to make out my department (policy reasons). The other square pouch is a 2X6 ammo pouch. It holders 6 rounds of .38, in 3 devided segments. I also carry a speed loader in my pocket. With a speed loader, a bullet pouch, and a loaded gun, I have as much ammo on tap as my 19 with no reloads.

Impractical? Probably. Awesome? Totally!

Pawpaw said...

Nice work. Very nice.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Thanks, Pop.

Old NFO said...

Very nice, now you need to do a BBQ rig for it!!! ;-)

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

NFO- actually, my next project for myself (it may be a few months) is going to be a full-on duty rig for my 19. It's going to have all the stuff you see here, as well as an Asp holder, a double mag pouch, and a second handcuff holder. Probably a glove pouch, too. And the belt is going to be double-layered, and (hopefully) velcro lined to mate with an inner belt. That's the idea, at the moment, anyway.