Monday, February 15, 2016

Tacky Holster

So that holster I made for my LC9 works amazingly. It worked so good, in fact, that I made one for my j-frame. It is also working great. I need to carry it for another week or so to make a determination, but I may start making these for sale.

They are relatively easy to make (not counting drying time, they take like 1.5 hours to make, which really ain't much. It would probably only take an hour to make if I had a pattern ready-to-go.

There is a relatively small material investment... without sitting down and doing the math, we're talking less than 10 bucks, likely.

I think I could produce them for 45ish dollars, shipped, and it would still be worth my labor  investment.

These work like the "Remora" brand or "Sticky" brand holsters, but would be custom molded to the gun, and made out of leather.

Downsides to this idea:

It ain't a beautiful holster. The Latex coating looks like snot, when dry. Carry it around in your pocket for a few days, and it looks like dirty snot. Obviously, these would be marketed to a form over function crowd.

I could only offer them for the j-frame, Ruger LC9, or Kahr CW9, currently. I have to work with what I got, and right now, those are the only "pocket" guns I got.

It has the potential to eat up a lot of free time ( but it could translate into a fun little cottage industry, so that's kind of a plus, too).

What say you, internet? Is there interest in something like this? Is there room for it in a market that is filled with a similar product (Remora, Sticky, DeSantis Nemesis ) that is mass produced and can be had for 20-30 dollars? Is there even a desire out there for a hand-made "Tacky" leather pocket holster? Is $45, shipped on target for something like this?

Feedback is appreciated.

7 comments:

Matt said...

Personally I didn't like pocket carry. I felt I lost a whole pocket and that was prime real estate for keys, knife, phone, bolts, parts, and whatever made it in there throughout the day. Luckily I know someone who can make holsters and he made an awesome lc9 holster for me.😉 I don't think I'll go back to pocket carry anytime soon. That's just my 2 cents.

JayNola said...

I would give it a whirl. I've got a sticky for my xd-s that I was using a bunch but it lost pocket retention. Something else to try would be nice.

Pawpaw said...

A holster that looks like dirty snot. Quite the marketing ploy.

I get it, I really do, but I'd downnplay the visuals. I'll look at it the next time you come north.

Old NFO said...

Sadly, I don't own any of those... And I also don't like losing a pocket. But the idea DOES have merit!

Coderage said...

Will it work IWB like the Remora for my S&W Shield?
If so, I've got my eye on a S&W 642 that will need a holster.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

All- thanks for your input!

John W- it will work, tucked in a waistband. I wouldn't advertise them that way, because some 110lb guy will tuck his gun inside the waistband of his 2XL sweatpants then be mad at me because the gun didn't stay put. So it is definitely a pocket holster. However, I have used it the way you are asking, and it worked fine. But I won't advertise it like that, for liability reasons. Of course, grown-ups can use products however they like! ;-)

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

Also, if anyone is interested in one (or Leatherwork of any type) contact me at

j(dot)dezendorf001(at)gmail(dot)com