Friday, February 12, 2016

Tacky

Well, the Pocket Rocket holster is certainly sticky. I developed a draw over the years that I use with my j-frame in a cheap Blackhawk! holster. I grab the gun in a firing grip, trigger finger running down the side of the gun's frame, outside the holster. I press the side of the gun into my leg inside the pocket, and draw the gun, maintaining pressure against my leg until the gun clears my pocket.

I have tried this hundreds of times, and it is the only way I have found to be able to consistently draw a gun from a pocket, and guarantee that the holster will strip off the gun.

I have been playing around with a few different draw strokes, and this is the only one consistent with this new gun and holster combo, as well.

Stick with what you know works, I guess!

3 comments:

Sdv1949 said...

The Galco pocket holster has a tab on it that catches on the corner of my pocket and strips it off the gun on the way out. It takes a bit of practice to remember to tilt the gun a bit, but it's an easy way to draw a small pistol.

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

You're absolutely right. I have very limited experience with that holster. The first concealed handgun I bought was a Taurus TCP, and I bought a Galco pocket holster for it. I remember that hook. I didn't keep the gun or holster long, because I couldn't make it through a magazine without a stovepipe. I sold the gun and holster at a considerable loss. I thought of making the hook on this holster, but then, the LC9 is on the outside edge of being small enough for Pocket carry. I figured the more bulk I could trim off the holster, the better. This solution ended up working out, it seems. That's not to say that there are not other answers to the pocket holster problem. It just means that this works for me, with the guns I carry. If I was rocking an LCP, the Galco style holster would be a define option.

Anonymous said...

I draw my little pocket rocket the same way.

It is an Ruger LCP. I carry it in a Safariland pocket holster. The holster is thin plastic with suede on the outside. It is pretty sticky.

Within its obvious limitations I am pretty happy with the set up.